Compensation: $61,620.00 - $84,030.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Law Enforcement
This is a full-time benefited hourly position represented by the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail, and Transportation Workers (SMART) Union.
Under supervision of the Operations Control Center Supervisor, the Assistant Dispatcher serves as the primary point of coordination for communications in the Operations Control Center and provides back-up dispatching functions as directed. This position coordinates communications with Dispatch from bus, rail, ADA paratransit operations, public safety personnel, customers, and other sources to support safe, efficient, and reliable operations. This is a bargained position represented by the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail, and Transportation workers (SMART) Union.
The primary focus of this position is coordinated communication and response from a system-wide perspective. This position may be required to direct and control the movement of revenue vehicles. This position is designated as Safety-Sensitive in accordance with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and will participate in a random testing pool under those guidelines.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position reports to the Operations Control Center Supervisor. S/he has no supervisory authority but will provide expertise and communications with contractor or other NCTD staff as needed. Further, this position is expected to participate in the sharing of expert knowledge and as a vital member of various project teams that may be instituted.
Normal working conditions for this position are in both an office and field setting. Business travel may be required periodically between District sites, governmental agencies, consultants' facilities, and other locations as required.
Examples of Duties
Essential FunctionsDuties may include, but are not limited to, the following:Job Requirements:
- Receives, communicates, and coordinates messages for operational and emergency services during local and regional disasters, civil disorders, and other emergencies involving city and/or county emergency response teams
- May be called upon to perform Train Dispatching duties as needed to maintain coverage or as otherwise directed by the Operations Control Supervisor
- Provide first level support in receiving, documenting, reporting, and troubleshooting of operational issues to include mechanical, communications, positive train control, and other systems utilized by NCTD.
- Monitors computerized information on status, schedule, and assigned location of transit vehicles
- Maintains operations and maintenance response duty rosters and coordinates response for equipment or infrastructure failures
- Coordinates alternate means of transportation for passengers during service disruptions.
- Monitors CCTV's at stations before/during/after train and bus arrivals to support service connectivity for boarding and/or transferring passengers; relay information to modal dispatchers as appropriate
- Coordinates with local law enforcement when illegal activities are reported on NCTD's modes or property
- Manages unplanned outages in coordination with modal dispatchers and response teams
- Develops messages for distribution to internal and external stakeholders using NCTD's internal messaging systems and tools
- Communicates delays, cancellations and detours to customers via Public Address announcements, digital signage and social media outlets
- Ensures internal and external contact lists are updated and accessible for OCC staff
- Prepare and distribute reports
- Perform related duties as assigned.
A combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position may be considered.Certificates/Licenses
- High school diploma or GED required. Associate degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a role with similar duties and/or experience in direct bus or rail operations or in a customer service or communications position with experience with similar requirements of duties specified.
- Possess and maintain a California driver's license, Class C, and a satisfactory driving record for the last five years.
- Must be able to become GCOR Qualified on NCTD owned railroad properties.
- Must become familiar with all of NCTD's modal operating environments through ride-along observations, on the job training and territory familiarization to complete probationary period.
- Must become a qualified Train Dispatcher to complete probationary period
- Must be able to become RWP Qualified on NCTD owned railroad properties.
- Maintain compliance with the District's policies regarding Conflict of Interest and Ethics.
- Working knowledge of, or ability to learn, railroad operating rules (GCOR), Train Dispatcher (TDM) guidelines, Positive Train Control (PTC) procedures, Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD-TMDS) system procedures, and Federal regulations (CFR) concerning Train Sheets and Hours of service.
- Ability to learn the procedures and operation of radio and other operational communication systems.
- Ability to understand bus and rail operations, systems, and terminology.
- Ability to forecast impact to customers during service disruptions based on information provided.
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships through excellent communication and teambuilding skills; including the ability to engage successfully with both internal and external contacts and the public.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to gather, organize, analyze, and present data to appropriate sources; ability to interpret and apply local, state, and federal rules and regulations accurately and effectively.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to prepare and deliver clear and concise reports.
- Demonstrated use of high-level discretion and judgment in execution of duties is preferred.
- Must be able to handle demanding deadlines and changing priorities in an often-stressful work environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer software programs including the Microsoft Office Suite.
Physical Requirements The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.The employee must possess the ability to use the phone and computer for extended periods, manual dexterity to complete clerical functions and work with office equipment, and lift equipment up to 25 pounds on a daily basis. The employee must be able to hear, see (including the ability to distinguish between colors), and communicate verbally to exchange information. The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations, work in evenings when required, work in hazardous conditions, and negotiate a variety of different and irregular terrain as is typical along a railway right of way. The employee may be subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, chemicals. The employee must be able to walk, climb, balance, bend, carry, push, reach, sit, and stand.Machines / Tools / Equipment
Application Information: All applicants must complete and submit an online application at www.gonctd.com/careers. A job offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Salary based upon experience, not to exceed midpoint of stated range. NCTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including a fax and scanner machine, copy machine, and telephone.
- Ability to carry and operate a mobile on-call device.
- Ability to operate a 2-way radio.
Associated topics: 911, call, call center, command center, communication, dispatcher, fire, hospital, phone, telecommunicator
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...